Monday, January 30, 2017

Visit to the Baltimore Museum of Art

     I visited the Baltimore Museum of Art for the first time, and I really enjoyed walking around observing all that the pieces had to offer. I liked some more than others. Its easy for me to like and understand art if its simple and it's straight forward. There were three paintings in particular that appealed to my inner artist.
     First was Jean-Honoré Fragonard's "Rest on the Flight" oil on canvas painting. I liked it because all the other paintings were nice and crisp but this one was blurry which was one of the ways it looks mysterious. A second way it looked mysterious was that when I looked up close I couldn't see any brush strokes, the whole painting was cracking. To tie all the mystery in, I think the painting portrayed the mystery of God.
     Second was "The Earth and Air" by Yves Tanguy. It's my second favorite painting because its so simple. A big space, with little objects filling it. The design and the execution is amazing and crisp. It's fun to look up close and see the heavy and light lines, and the contrast between color and shadow. It reminds me of the Dream graveyard where dreams go to die in The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava girl.
     Lastly, my favorite was John D. Graham's "Landscape of Beucaine, Near Province". I love this piece because it reminds me of my uncles home in Guatemala. He built it from scratch right across from his tire shop. The material looks exactly like the type my uncle used, and also the design of it.
It was just nice to see something familiar that reminded me of my family.
John D. Graham "Landscape of Beucaine, Near Province"

Jean-Honoré Fragnard "Rest on the Flight"

Yves Tanguy "The Earth and Air"

No comments:

Post a Comment